We love our phones and more than that, we keep them updated to the latest versions of Android that are released. You will want anything but facing issues with the phone you are inclined to so much. Your phones really satisfy your needs until a problem occurs and you just can find a way to get over it.
One such issue that can really bother you a lot is the ‘Screen Overlay Detected’ and it normally happens in your phones running Android Marshmallow or the latest Android Nougat. This issue usually happens in the latest builds of Android but don’t worry, there’s always a solution.
What is ‘Screen Overlay’ and why does it happen?
Actually, starting with the Android Marshmallow, Android comes with a feature of ‘Draw Over Other Apps’ which allows some of the applications in your phone to draw over other apps. This feature is also available in Android Nougat. Suppose Facebook Messenger or Flynx uses its pop-ups to run on your Android to be shown over other apps. And the famous Twilight app makes the screen reddish by using the same feature. So when we are installing new applications in our phones, sometimes the Android will show the pop-up of “Screen Overlay Detected”. This happens because some apps which “Draw Over other Apps” permission enabled are running in background or foreground.
Also Read: Install Android Nougat 7.1 in your phones
Actually, this is an extra security measure from Android, to stop some malicious apps you may have mistakenly installed from any sources other than Play Store, from taking advantage of the default Android settings.
How to solve this issue?
Screen Overlay is not a problem to worry about. However, everybody finds it annoying. You can use these simple steps to fix this issue:
1) The initial solution to fix this issue is to exit the apps that are having Screen Overlay or Floating Windows
2) Messenger, Flynx, Internet Speed Meter, Twilight etc. are the main reasons behind this issue.
3) If you’ve the same apps (as in step 2), you can exit them before installing a new app in your phone after it asks to Disable Screen Overlay.
If the first method doesn’t do well for you, let’s go on to a more deep and reliable solution.
1) Open your settings menu first of all.
2) Scroll to the option of “Apps” and click on that.
3) There, click on the Gear button (which will look like the ‘Settings’ icon.
4) There, you will find the option of ‘Draw Over other Apps’. Click on that.
5) Now, in the “Draw over other apps” screen, you can see the apps which are having the Screen overlay/Draw over other apps permission.
6) You can select your desired apps there and give them permission accordingly to “Permit Drawing Over Other apps”.
7) Now, clear the app you were trying to run from “Recents screen” and open the app again, you’ll not see the “Screen Overlay Detected” again!
8) The last and the most important step left is to reactivate the screen overlays that you disabled before. Go to the same menu and recheck all the apps that you’ve disabled or you won’t be able to use them.
–> And for the unknown malicious apps, just uninstall them.